Lantmännen Reppe Gluten (Vital Wheat Gluten)
Vital Wheat Gluten can be an important ingredient for cake and bread bakers as it is excellent for binding ingredients together. It can also be used to make seitan, a fantastic meat replacement ideal for a vegan diet.
Also known as “wheat protein” and “wheat gluten”, vital wheat gluten is like your normal wheat flour… on steroids. It is made by hydrating the wheat flour to activate the gluten (the main protein in wheat), and then processing it to remove everything but the gluten.
So while the plain flour you use to bake cakes and cookies contains both gluten and starch, the latter has been completely washed away in vital wheat gluten. After the processing, the gluten is dried and ground back into a powder.
Vital wheat gluten is a fantastic natural protein source found in wheat and is a powerful flour that is almost pure gluten. It is made from wheat flour that has had the gluten activated during a dehydrating process which removes all other ingredients except the gluten. It has very little starch content and is a fantastic ingredient to make dough very elasticated, resulting in perfect bakes time and time again.
Vital wheat gluten is great for bread making particularly for regular flour replacements that have a low gluten content, such as rye, as it helps to increase the gluten content of the bake. It is equally as delicious used in muffins, cakes and other bakes such as tarts and pastries where you are working with yeast ingredients. You can buy vital wheat gluten online and start experimenting with homemade loaves of bread to accompany a warming bowl of soup for a tasty, nutritious and comforting meal for all the family.
Gluten flour can also be used to develop Seitan - a fantastic meat alternative for vegans and vegetarians. Once seitan has been made it is extremely versatile and can be made into anything - think sausages and burgers or even 'meat' loaf!
- An indispensable ingredient for making bread, cakes, tarts and pastries
- A natural and very effective raising agent, helping your bread to fill out perfectly and evenly. Especially useful for baking with whole wheat grains and ‘alternative’ flours
- Great for binding ingredients together
- Great for ensuring any recipes with lots of seeds, nuts or fruit stay firmly held together
- Use wheat gluten to make Seitan – a simple and easy to make tasty vegetarian meat substitute
- Recommended use is 1 tablespoon for every 2 cups of flour
Product Packed On A Premises that handles Nuts, Seed, Soya & Sesame