Course Timings: 17 Jul 2023, 09:30 – 17:00
This intensive five-day course will give you the advanced skills and in-depth knowledge to professionally bake a wide range of fresh artisan bread. The course has been developed for existing bakers, chefs, business start-ups and advanced home bakers looking to expand their bread baking repertoire.
This practical and comprehensive course explores, and gives you plenty of hands-on opportunities to master, a variety of artisan bread-making processes. You’ll be guided by our tutor and expert baker Wayne Caddy, the UK's representative at the baking Coup de Monde, as you cover a range of topics and techniques, including:
- Professional recipes, ingredients, and formulas
- The importance of ingredients
- Yeasted pre-ferments
- Wild yeast cultures and sourdough
- Professional bread mixing methods, including double hydrated dough & autolyse techniques
- Bulk fermentation and folding
- Hand shaping and moulding techniques
- Dividing and scaling
- Using multi-speed spiral mixers and stone bed deck ovens
- Advanced decoration bread stencils
- Traditional razor blade techniques for scoring
- Wet and super hydrated doughs
- Calculating final dough temperature and its importance
- Oven management, loading and unloading ovens
- Working with fruit and grain soaker inclusions
- Building a sourdough from scratch
Wayne will share his expertise gained during decades of baking all over the world, as you create a selection of artisan bread including:
- Ciabatta with biga
- Traditional baguettes with poolish and levain
- Pain de Campagne
- Sourdough and levain breads
- Beer barm bread
- Olive and Gruyère bread
- Grain and fruit soaker loaves
- Apple and sultana hot cross buns
- Rye breads
- Sprouted grain sourdough
- Decorative baguette
The course takes place in the School’s bakery training facility, using professional equipment, with all bread baked in professional stone-based deck ovens. All breads produced on the course are available to take home, along with recipes and technical notes.
The School of Artisan Food makes a conscious effort to reduce waste and packaging. Students are encouraged to bring their own containers to transport their food home.
Refreshments will be available throughout each day, as well as lunch prepared by our team of chefs. All ingredients, equipment, and recipes will be provided.
About Wayne Caddy
Wayne Caddy was instrumental in developing the Advanced Diploma in Artisan Baking, now delivering an array of shorts courses here at The School of Artisan Food.